Monday, May 4, 2009

Classics and Frauds


Actually - the further I read through The Moses Legacy, the worse it got, so I just skipped through the last few chapters, reading only the chapter-end summaries. Meh!.


Ordered my own copy of 'The Gargoyle' from one of Amazon's subs: it arrived pretty quickly, but turned out to be a hard-back. Never mind - it's going out on loan soon. I do want to read it again, but maybe not yet.

Called in at the Barbican Bookshop on a rainy afternoon last week and found TWO books that made the whole day worthwhile: Ernst Kasemann's 'Perspectives on Paul'and Robert Martin-Achard's 'From Death to Life: A Study of the Development of the Doctrine of the Resurrection in the Old Testament'. this latter could not have come at a more opportune moment as I am currently writing about the Judaic conception of the afterlife, from the earliest times through to the Mishnaic period. The former is, of course, a classic. Both came to a mere £7.

Amused myself today by knocking up a couple of facsimile 'papyrus fragments' (inspired by Evangelical Textual Criticism's blogpost


I thought I'd also do P52 - so I did - and then a fragment of the late 2nd/early 3rd century CE Coptic 'Dialogue of the Saviour' (Nag Hammadi). I have to say that both mine actually look far more authentic than the one advertised on eBay does. Maybe a new career beckons?
**ha! if you look carefully at the picture of 'P52' above, you can see the reflection of me taking the photo!**



No comments: