Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Comfort of Job

Can't resist an ICC commentary! Picked up a 1921 copy of 'A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Book of Job' by Samuel Rolles Driver and George Buchanan Grey from the Barbican Bookshop. It's in pretty good condition, a bit faded and musty, but most of the pages are still uncut along the top edge, so I'm guessing that it hasn't had much use unless the previous owners were content to peer into the pages! I'm particularly keen on examining the language of Job's hope for post-death vindication, but that'll have to wait a wee while until I've incorporated some of Albert Schweizer's ideas (from The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle) into my study of Pauline eschatology. It's an amazing book: I can't quite understand why the university have relegated to the storeroom. However, I'm going to have to read Kasemann on Schweizer. No doubt I'll find all my current ideas turned upside-down!

No comments: