Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Philosophy and Theology

Am thoroughly enjoying a re-read of Simone de Beauvoir's The Prime of Life in preparation for the arrival of her Force of Circumstance (due to plop through the letterbox any day soon). Takes me back a bit and fills me with regret that I didn't actually manage to have a coffee in 'Les Deux Magots' when last in Paris (the troops were on the verge of mutiny). An impulse buy recently was a Norton Critical Edition of The Writings of St Paul (eds. Wayne Meeks & John Fitzgerald), sourced from the internet at an amazing £8.98 (inc. p&p)! There's nearly 700 hundred pages of scholarship and reception ranging from Irenaeus to Luther to Nietzsche to Barth. Plus a comprehensive bibliography. Fantastic value......that's my 'serious' book for the summer. I did see it recommended on someone's blog, but can't for the life of me think where. Apologies - will post an acknowledgement if I re-find it*.

It was in Theophrastus' blog What I Learned from Aristotle
link:http://whatilearnedfromaristotle.blogspot.com/search?q=the+writings+of+st+paul

No comments: