Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Like Father(s)? Like Sun!

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson: that's my holiday book, but I have to admit I'm feeling a bit dubious about it......seems to tick the right boxes, but I am uncomfortably aware that so did the Illuminatus! trilogy.....I did try to read some of Stephenson's Baroque trilogy once upon a time but faltered quite quickly. I'll give this one a go.
Two biblioblogger recommendations are winging their (used) way to me:

1) New Testament Studies by C H Dodd, as recommended by Mark Goodacre as essential reading for anyone who is 'seriously interested' in Pauline eschatology (me! I am!) and

2) John J. O'Keefe & R.R. Reno's 'Sanctified Vision: An Introduction to Early Christian Interpretation of the Bible' [recommended in 'Son of the Fathers' blog, by - if I'm not mistaken - Josh Mc Manaway (sp?)] dealing with patristic hermeneutics, very pertinent to my area of study.

I don't think I'll be taking them away on holiday with me: I'm far too shallow and flakey. No pics of me boning up on my PhD stuff on the beach....or maybe.....?
HT Mark Goodacre's NT Blog , Son of the Fathers

No comments: