Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas and Thereafter


Well that's Christmas over for another year, and as usual I am already wondering whether I could have appreciated the whole experience more. I think it must be an age thing: no sooner is an event over than I am filled with angst and regret that I maybe didn't make the most of it. Not that I could have this year (conditional perfect tense there!) as I spent most of the holiday break feeling distinctly ill with some kind of nasty virus that emptied me of energy and enthusiasm and left a nasty cough that is still lingering some two weeks later. Still, normality beckons.
I really enjoyed Hardy's 'The Well-Beloved' which proved a good comfort read in the circumstances, possibly not one of his greatest books but distinctly Hardy-esque in its concerns and characters.
The surprise arrival of a new laptop from my wonderful husband led me to the purchase of a couple of 'Dummies' books to ensure that I get to make the most of the programmes and make myself more efficient during the forthcoming academic term.
I wanted to get another Scarlett Thomas novel - 'PopCo' or 'Going Out' but, unsurprisingly, the local Borders store did not have them in stock so I ended up buying Steven Hall's 'The Raw Shark Texts'. I am glad I am no longer running a temperature as I'm not sure that I could handle its weirdness whilst feeling as 'off it' as I did. As it is, I am thoroughly enjoying it - a good contrast to my other current read - 'A Daughter's Love' - John Guy's study of the relationship between Sir Thomas More and his daughter Margaret, which is OK but not really what I'd call rivetting. I guess that tomorrow I am going to have to get a grip and start some academic reading: not something that I am really looking forward to at the moment. Doubtless I'll get into the swing of it in a couple of days. I hope!

No comments: