Friday, January 9, 2009

A Salutary Tale

My new uni has the facility for dispatching up to four books, for a small fee, to distant students like me. This is most useful as I can peruse the online library catalogue and select some likely looking tomes without the expensive 3 hour train ride involved to get to campus. I compiled a list and submitted it with the appropriate money. Just before the Christmas break, I received an email from the library requesting that I return to them one of the books that I had borrowed on my last trip there at the beginning of the month. Grumbling somewhat I packaged it up in a jiffy-bag and sent it back recorded delivery, then set about bewailing the fact that I had scarcely had a chance to look at this seminal work. Oh well.
Yesterday, a knock on the door and the Parcelforce man passed over to me a big package from the uni library containing my requested books including.....yes, you've guessed!...the very book that I had returned by post a couple of weeks earlier. What an idiot.

No comments: